My eager for 4K video in small package has sincerely backfired on me. I have never thought I would be a so angry what I actually bought. And drop frames on everything I shoot is a killer for me. A lot of money worth equipment is now worth less than garbage. If it was something I could save just by changing a cable, or format a drive or stop using LUTs, I could live and at least work on. But until now everything I tested, changed and set didn’t work out and problem of nasty drop frames remains while shooting 4K.
The problem probably started after updating firmware on Atomos Shogun about a week ago (on newest 6.2). I had no video shooting a week before and after. I noticed some playback issue on Atomos Shogun while shooting sets two days ago… because it was the same even after changing HDMI cable I carried on. Now I see that firmware update and not checking all functions after backfired me really bad.
Until now I have tested;
– Changing ultra thing HDMI with thicker proper 1.4v cable
– Formatting SSD drives (have two to play with)
– Changing from NTSC to PAL
– Shutting off LUTs
– Trying two different SSD readers
– Devices are in room temperature condition
– Recorded at HD 50 fps
– Tried powering Shogun with battery included
– Tried powering A7s with original Sony battery
– Recorded to another SSD drives (Odyssey7Q SSD) and it WORKED fine.
– Reverting the firmware 6.2 update back to 6.11 on Atomos Shogun … the Samsung EVO840 500GB are working OK.
What I would like to test:
– Connect Atomos Shogun on FS700 via HDMI
– Connect Sony A7s on Odyssey7Q
Possible footage saving suggestion:
– Cutting out the drop frame and hoping that it wont be noticed when exported (a lot of work going through frame by frame)
Few examples of all destroyed footage:
Some drop frames are green, some have only strange artifacts over screen… but are constant all over the footage every few seconds.
PS: I’ll keep updated with all tests to get this thing back to work.
PS2: Problem found…. it doesn’t want to record on Samsung EVO 840 anymore. Before the firmware update it was working just fine.
PS3: After contacting the Atomos and explaining the situation, they sent the 6.11 version firmware, which I run on Shogun and now the Samsung SSD are working again.